Monday, January 31, 2005

Recently found as a lining to a wardrobe was an election poster on behalf of John G. King, from Ballylin, Ferbane printed on a 20 X 30 inch yellow poster. Electors and King's County stood out in bold as did Gentlemen and John G. King at the bottom. This is the wording.Note date.

To the
ELECTORS
Of the
KING'S COUNTY
=================================================================
Gentlemen,
As no candidate, connected by residence or property, with your County, has come forward to seek nomination, I venture to solicit the honour of your support at the approaching Election.
The Law of Landlord and Tenant will be one of the first questions for consideration in the next Parliament.
As Landlord, I feel it would be a great injustice to appropriate to myself the increased value which may be added to my …. Tenant's labour, skill, and capital, without giving him full compensation. The fair value of these improvements should be the right of the Tenant, and I will support any measure which may have the effect of securing it to him.
The present condition of Ireland, the continued drain upon her population, the great decrease of her material wealth, demand the earnest attention of every one who has a stake in the country.
I am most anxious to join in the formation of, and to co-operate with an Irish party in Parliament, whose object will be - the prosperity of Ireland and the preservation of her people.
I will be found the uncompromising advocate of civil and religious liberty, and of perfect political equality amongst all classes.
The interests of this, my native County, with which my almost constant residence has, I may venture to say, made me intimately acquainted, shall command my most careful attention.
Independent of all Political parties, and having no personal advantage to gain from any Government, I would endeavour, if Elected as your Representative, faithfully to discharge the trust reposed in me, irrespective of any consideration, but the welfare of our common country.
I hope the time between this and the Election will permit me to have the pleasure of personally soliciting your support.
I have the honour to be, Gentlemen,
Your faithful and obedient Servant,
JOHN G. KING
Ballylin, Ferbane, July 3rd 1865
==================================================================
Printed at Printing House Building, Parsonstown

No comments: