Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Padraig Turley sent on the following. If you can help him with the poem contact him and maybe let the rest of us know as well. DK

I was listening recently to the John Creedon show. He was doing a piece on what he called local songs. What he meant was songs made up about events in local area e.g. sporting events, political events, contrary people etc etc. This jogged my memory and I recall as a young boy my grandfather Michael Claffey of Clerhane and Tom Gaffey of Clerhane used to sing such songs about the Bloomhill area. There ware many and I can only recall one verse of a song that Tom Gaffey used to sing. It was about a Bailiff or Gamekeeper called Hanrahan who had squeaky shoes. It went thus:-

Be God a man,
Says Hanrahan,
They are such rogues
They can hear me stale upon them
With the whistling of my Brogues.

I wonder does this ring a bell with anyone. Hanrahan might have worked on the Mooney Estate in Doon. I would love to hear from anyone who might be familiar with this or any similar songs. My email address is pturley1@eircom.net

No comments: