Tuesday, March 18, 2003

The death occured of Tom Kinsella Clonburren yesterday.Tom was well known in the area
and often arrived into the village on his bicycle, Bill Dolan reckons he was about 80 years.
John and Vera Carty host the Station Mass for their neighbourhood on Friday @8pm.
Margaret Carty and Bridie Carry went to Millars Restaurant last evening and were very
pleased with yheir meal.
Patrick Kenny tells a Mike Merrigan story that is new and old.
At one time Meitheal's were very common when neighbours gathered to help cut turf
or save the haycrop.Tom Kelly from Moore was having a Meitheal and Mike Merrigan
was there.Another neighbour was complaining that he never slept a wink last night
coughing and with pains everywhere.
Jay says Mike sure Paddy Brennan was like that and sure he lasted three days.

1 comment:

Eileen said...

Hello,
I have been researching my Merrigan family for many years, and have been able to plan a rather last minute trip from the US to Ireland from July 24 - August 4, 2017.

Many years ago, I was intrigued by this reference to Michael Merrigan from Clonmacnoise. My great grand father Michael Merrigan left Clonmacnoise Ireland about 1848 (age about 4 yrs) with his father Martin Merrigan, mother Bridget Madden, and younger brother Patrick Merrigan. They came to Massachusetts via Canada about 1849. I have one US record that lists Martin's father as Michael Merrigan. (I also have one record each listing Martin's mother as Mary and Bridget.) -- There is also an Irish born, Connecticut Keron Bergan (1871-1905) (sp?) whose family attended our Merrigan weddings and wakes, and the story was that their family changed their name from Merrigan to Bergan in the US to get better jobs. So another post about a Kieran Merrigan is also intriguing to me.

I hope to combine some genealogical touring/research with this upcoming visit to Ireland. I am also happy to use the time to plan for a future trip to Ireland, since this is so last minute.

In any case, if there is anyone who would be willing to share any info, hints, and rumors they have about Merrigans in this with me either online, or oh my goodness, in Ireland!, I'd would be so grateful and more than willing to buy a few rounds, cups of tea or coffee at your favorite local spot! I have quite an extensive American family tree online at ancestry.com, But it ends with Martin.

Thank you for your time,
Eileen
Massachusetts, USA