Monday, June 01, 2009

I saw on the SB News that you were at the bungalow feeding the birds. We have several nests around the house. In front we have a pair of house Finches that have built a nest under the eaves on the porch. I looked and there are 3 eggs in the nest. In the rear we have Finches on the back porch that have built a nest on top of one of my speakers which is up under the eaves. We play music over the speaker in the evening when we are out there and I thought it wouldn't be a good idea for them to build there, so when I saw them starting to bring in nest material I tried discouraging them by balling up a wad of heavy duty aluminum foil and stuffing it between the ceiling and the speaker. I thought they would chose another spot and carry on. But no, they pecked away at the foil for several days and cleared a hole large enough to build a nest. I figured if they were that resourceful I would forego the music until they raise their family.
We also have 2 well hidden nests of Mockingbirds in our shrubs in the back. I see them darting in and out of the shrubs but they are very thick and I don't know exactly where the nests are. When their chicks hatch it is an adventure tending my tomatoes and oranges since they fly up and peck at the back of your head to chase you off. Years ago I discovered that if you put a mask on that has eyes backwards they can't figure where to safely attack and leave you alone. I always say a little prayer that my next door neighbor isn't looking when I do that. This is a Black Phoebe that sits on the edge of our pool and every now and then appears to leap in for a swim. Actually he is feeding on flying insects that have landed in the pool. He is a flycatcher and I guess he figured it takes less energy than chasing them all over the place. We have hummingbirds constantly at our 2 feeders. Also in the neighborhood we have scrub jays, cedar waxwings, barn owls, an eagle, mourning doves crows and many others.
We look forward to seeing you soon.
GB, Ken

No comments: