Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Thanks for your email. If you go into IrishExaminer.com you should get my stuff under the heading of Outdoors, or Columnists. I do a weekly column on Environment/Heritage issues for the paper on which I've been a journalist since the 1970s. I was really taken by your pub and the chat with yourself. I stumbled on Shannonbridge by accident, but remembered my daughter, who works with Tourism Ireland in London, talking in raptures about Killeen's public house so my wife and I couldn't pass without dropping in to see the wonders for myself. My daugther had brought a group of English people there some months previously. We spoke that day about the bog, great carnivals in Shannonbridge and bands that played there from Kerry, including Denis Cronin, from Tralee. Don't ever try to change your pub - you'd only destroy something that should be preserved for the nation and its visitors. I've been running a sort of personal campaign for the preservation of old Irish pubs of character for many years - against the tide, I'm afraid, most of the time.
All the Best,
Donal Hickey.

No comments: