Thursday, July 22, 2010

Recently Tony Lowe from Dublin was in Shannonbridge and he told
that he was a Grand-son of the late John Lowe from Clonfinlough.
I happened to mention that John Lowe had written a poem that
was published in the April 1979 Shannonbridge Star.
Tony said that John had written a copy-book full of poems.
Unfortunately that book was never found after John died.
Lucky enough a copy of the 1979 Shannonbridge Star was found.

Here is the poem again for new readers.

Our World and Its People by John Lowe.

This world is sometimes funny and sometimes very sad
We have different kinds of people,
Some good and others bad.
When a man gets vicious his neighbour does despise.
Tries to take his character with profane words and lies.
It sometimes causes murder and he ends up in Hell,
And often the man thats killed ends up there as well.

What kind of conscience has a man when his good neighbour kills
It breaks my heart to read it. My eyes with tears do fill.
If my neighbour did strike me and my blood did spill
I would not retaliate - but surely pray for him.
For this old life is far too short and we should work and pray
And do our best to please our God and think of Judgement Day.

Now don't think that I'm all wind or talking through my hat,
I'm just a human being living on my fat.
One thing I love my God for, with love he died for me.
I'll surely pray that him I won't forget
And on the Judgement Day I hope I won't regret.

Now Good People don't forget that you will surely die,
So work and pray each night and day and your neighbours don't deny
Try to love him as your son and help him when you can
And God will bless you during life.
You'll be his Special Man.

No comments: